Monday, December 5, 2011

Take me to a sparkly place


I've been seeing DIY tutorials on glitter shoes, heels and pumps tutorials everywhere, (fabsugar, BurdaStyle, or Honestly WTF) so I decided to transform a pair of beat up flats into sparkly new flats. However, instead of mixing glue and glitter to create the sparkle, I decided to use what I had at home, glitter paint.

What I used:
1. Glitter Paint
2. Black fabric paint
3. Paint brush
4. Pair of shoes

 (My beat up flat, with pieces dangling)

The difference between using the glitter and glue method vs the regular glitter paint is the number of coating you'll need to use to cover the shoes. With my method, I had to do about three coats of it to get to the sparkling stage.

It's easy as putting on your foundation. Clean the surface of your shoes then just simply paint on one coat of glitter then let it dry (which should take about two hours depending on the weather). Then reapply glitter paint until you've reached desired result. Now, as other tutorials have mentioned, you can use masking tape to tape over areas where you don't want the glitter to avoid going over the line. Since I'm painting all over the surface, I didn't use it.

(This is after one coating of glitter)

After I've covered all the surface with glitter, I used the black fabric paint to paint over the bow strip so it'll be as shiny as the other parts of the shoes. To finish off the shoes to insure the glitter won't come off, some tutorials suggest using an acrylic coating but since I used the glitter paint, I didn't bother with that either.

Voila, a brand new pair of flats.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, good idea. You inspired me to experiment with my own shoes and change them into something fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...